Sunday, June 7, 2009

Super Salad Nights


Last week was a special treat and Greg offered to do all the cooking! He made "3 bean turkey chili surprise attack" (his term) one night - which was fabulous, and some delicious grilled chicken with rice and sugar snap peas another night. Then on Thursday night we only had one chicken breast left, so he had a great idea to make a fancy salad. So we each had a spinach salad, with half a chicken breast chopped up (real tiny to maximize chicken per bite ratio), 2 strips of turkey bacon crumbled up, and 1/2 avocado. It was so YUM.

I have decided we needed to start having fancy salad nights more often. We are addicted to eating spinach leaves already, so might as well accessorize them for some excitement. We usually eat a bag of spinach per week - just taking it in our lunches to work or eating it with dinners. But I think we should start replacing this with Super Salad Night - and come up with lots of fun creations. I think weekly would make us run out of salad ideas way too fast, so maybe every other week would be good.

But I couldn't wait a whole week to have SSN, so we indulged tonight for dinner. We did teriyaki marinated grilled shrimp, avocado (which may be included in every salad because I absolutely love it), pineapple chunks, and crumbled turkey bacon. It turned out great. It is pictured at the top of this post.

I also heard a Panera commercial on the radio advertising a salad with strawberries, blueberries, mandarin oranges, and nuts. I think I will use that idea plus some chopped up chicken for our next salad. Gosh the possibilities seem endless. Maybe a chef salad with some ham, hard boiled eggs, cucumbers, tomatoes, and avocados (of course!). Or maybe a santa fe style salad with corn, pico, tortilla strips, and ground beef. Salads can be really filling if you add enough goodies on top.

I am already looking forward to the next SSN.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I would love that- but that would only be a side dish for Scott! He has to eat more meat than that!! I LOOVE the salad at Panera. It is actually the only thing that I will eat there!

Erin said...

We have been having fun with salads too lately. Troy is really good with coming up with creative ideas. We've done black beans on salad too (usually with a bit of tomato & avocado, or whatever "southwest-y" kinds of veggies we have on hand) & it was really good - and the beans are really flling. I have a yummy black bean recipe if you want it.

Unknown said...

Your salads look delicious! On a side note, where did you find the coupons for CVS pharmacy for a new prescription? I read it on your blog a while ago and I have a new prescription and I would love a gift card with it! I've looked but can't find them. Thanks!