Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cake Challenge

This weekend I had my most challenging cake so far. I don't feel like it came out well at all. I was super stressed making it and had nightmares of the top layer falling off all night long. This picture is sort of cheating, because it hides all of the flaws :) I also took it from the cake's "good side" since some of the chocolate was not so pretty. The lighting makes the icing look smooth, when really the top layer was a bit disastrous. Also, the tiers are not perfectly level when you look at it from different sides. I even re-did the top layer after icing it all and doing the chocolate, and it still wasn't much better the second time. I don't think I leveled my cakes far enough down because the sides were not perfectly straight causing the icing to get really weird. Anyway, the lady who ordered it was going to put hot pink roses on it so hopefully that will distract from all the errors. I will not be doing a cake like this again until I get some major practice in though. I felt so bad for the lady who ordered it. Even though she was so sweet and insisted it looked fine, I wasn't happy with it and wished I could have been able to make it prettier for her. I thought this one would be easier and take less time than the shaped cakes, but I was way wrong.








I also had another order for a wedding dress that was picked up on Sunday.





This onsie cake was for a baby shower at work this past Thursday.





The details are done in fondant, which you can see in the picture below. The border and overall icing is buttercream though. I like doing accents in fondant because they look very neat and clean but the cake still tastes good.



3 comments:

Roni said...

Don't be so hard on yourself...besides being some of the cutest cakes I've seen...they TASTE SO YUMMY!

I have a cake order in march and two in October...for now on!

Michelle said...

your cakes are so awesome! i will have to keep you in mind!

Abby said...

I love this onesie Jana! I thought the design for the two-tier was so cute too! You'll have it up to your own standards soon, I'm sure :) I wish I had a reason to get a cake soon!

Oooo, you can bring me a birthday cake on Wednesday :)