Sunday, August 2, 2009

Clothing Rejection

This weekend Greg and I decided to tackle our non-walk-in-able walk-in closet. It was like a Super Walmart crammed into a 7 x 4 ft. space. There was the clothing department, craft section, outdoor world, home goods, luggage & accessories, and more, all packed in together. Since we were getting rid of some stuff, I thought it would be a great idea to take sell our clothes that we didn't wear any more to Buffalo Exchange. I was talking about that with some friends at work last week, and I thought that would be a great way to clean out some of our stuff, and be thrifty.

We had several bag fulls of clothes, plus a few shoes and accessories. We headed over to Buffalo Exchange - which is an adventure in itself trying to find parking, walk several blocks to the store, etc. The line for selling clothes was outrageous. Of course it was Saturday in the middle of the afternoon, but who knew so many people did this? We waited in line and it was not looking good. We could tell from watching the people in front of us that the store is extremely picky about what they buy back. The people in front of us must have packed 10 years worth of clothes in their trunk and were hauling it in load after load. The employees would look through it quickly and not take any of it. I thought, even though I am not quite hippy-cool, do not have any tattoos or a funky haircut, and my clothes are not very vintage and unique, at least they will probably take a couple items. Wrong. They went through our stuff (which was actually all mine with the exception of one jacket of Greg's) and rejected it all. You mean you hate all of my clothes? Come on - AT LEAST they could have bought back the way cool vintage dress I bought NEXT DOOR at the exact same type store several years ago to wear to a Halloween party when Greg and I went as Johnny Cash and June Carter. See picture below - complete with homemade guitars.



Can't see enough of the dress? Here is another view. (I love Julie and Jana's costumes!)



How could they not take the dress?? Wish (the store I bought it from) sells the exact same kind of clothes as Buffalo Exchange. It is old, unique, right up their ally. I also had 2 old tshirts that were the kind that we worn so much they were sooo comfy that I bought at a thrift shop on that same street several years ago. Sheesh. Greg and I left completely defeated. Being thrifty isn't always easy :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's crazy! I went to Platos closet once with a bunch of clothes and they rejected them all. It stings a little at first! I'm going to try again soon after I clean out my closet.

Jill said...

That is kind of funny! My suggestion is to find just a regular consingment shop. I go to one hear and I usually get a $25 to $30 check for every 7 or so things I take in. It is ladies' clothing only. Also, iron your clothes before you take them. They sell better. Look in your phone book. I am sure y'all have tons.

Jill said...

Yes, I was a third grade teacher and I just typed HEAR instead of HERE!!!! I do also have a toddler climbing on my back a I type!! Actually, she is drawing on my shirt with a pen!!! How did she get a pen!!!

Jenny said...

J, that is the funniest thing! I'm sorry for your loss, or rather lack of gain I guess. Is the Clothes Rejector on a powertrip or what? For what it's worth, if I had to check all the clothes, I would have passed yours through on grounds of personal style anyway! Take that Clothes Rejector!