Monday, May 10, 2010

Radical Series: Beware

Greg and I recently started listening to the Radical Series. I had never heard of this Pastor before, but read about this series on the Hendricks blog (who i stalk because she is so stinkin' hilarious and yet an amazing Godly example who is encouraging and challenging all the time), and also Katie's blog (who I heard about through the Hendrick's blog).

Seriously, you should go read Katie's blog. She is a young, single, beautiful girl who lives in Uganda. As in, she LIVES there. Not coming back. She has adopted kids. 11 of them. Or 12. Or some number around there I can't quite remember. She is simply amazing. Greg and I are both addicted to reading her blog. I check her blog all the time and cannot wait until she posts. Then Greg and I just look at each other, and ask - Why are we so lame? How can she serve God 24/7, have given up EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, and we are just living life for ourselves?


Start with this post. That is the one that got me hooked. I will even post a picture just like Heather did in case words are not convincing enough.


Why does she have to be the cutest person ever?

She is wise beyond her years. She also challenges me to read the scripture in a different way. A scary way.

Anyway, back to the Radical Series. There are 8 sermons. We have only listened to the first 3 so far. They are TOUGH. They bring up so many questions. I need other people to listen to these so I can have others to talk these things through with. Actually, more than that, I need to be praying for a changed heart. But also it would be great to talk this through with other people.

The other night Greg and I were at our friends' house, the McNallys, for dinner. We had finished eating and had talked for a long time without actually getting to the point of what we had met for (Houston Project). Then Kevin said - ok, 1 more thing and then we can get to our agenda. Radical Series. Have you heard it? Um, why yes we have Kevin. Just recently. We hate it. Well, not exactly hate, but I am selfish, and these sermons point that out even more and that is hard.

How will I give account to God for how I have spent my money?

God, I didn't know that every day tons and tons of people die of hunger. Of no clean water. Of preventable disease. Oh really? You didn't know? You thought everyone had food? Ok, maybe I did know, but I live in America, in Houston, not far from Highland Village, and I don't see it so much, and I forget. Forget? Ok, maybe I don't forget, maybe I purposely ignore that fact because I like buying clothes, and going out to eat, and buying throw pillows.

I am pretty frugal. More frugal at some things than others, but still frugal (by my standards at least). Greg is too. We like to buy the grocery store brands. We order water at restaurants. I use coupons. I reuse foil. Greg puts the peanut butter jar in the microwave when it seems there is nothing left so that not a single molecule of peanut butter goes unused. We only eat half a stick of gum at a time. I am serious. We shared this fact in Bible study once and have been made fun of ever since. I don't think Greg has bought a belt since high school.

But I have been thinking - why am I frugal? Is it so I can give more? So I can give more to missions? To feed the poor? To support ministries? No. Unfortunately no. I am frugal because I like getting good deals. So I can buy more cheap stuff. So I can have the security of knowing more money is going into savings. Sometimes I like to pat myself on the back for being frugal. But then when I realize WHY I am actually frugal. Not awesome.

Anyway, I am not really sure where I am going with this. These are just thoughts. My recent ones.

Back to our dinner - Kevin said - "Can I REALLY say that my 401K is not storing up for me treasures on Earth?"

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Mt 6:19-21

Oh wow, don't even go there. I never even thought about that and now I have to. Don't worry, no one is cancelling their 401K, these are just questions. Questions I had never really thought of. Because America and the church, and myself, am so conditioned to think a certain way, that I would never really think about doing something crazy risky to serve God. Yes there is wisdom in saving & planning. I am not saying there is not value in that. I am just sayin. That is what David Platt mentions in the Radical Series. His teachings sound so radical, because the church has gotten so far away from those hard truths in the Bible that they sound exactly that - Radical. Kinda sad, eh? I am accountable to God, and that is a scary thing. Not that any amount of works could get me into Heaven. Far from it. It is by grace alone through Jesus Christ that we are saved. But I am still accountable for how I used what God has given me.

So if you have listened to this series and have thoughts on it - let me know. Or if you start listening to them, lets talk!

4 comments:

Matt, Emily, Tobin, & Heidi said...

I spent ALL of nap time today (and then some) reading through so much of those two blogs you mentioned. What amazing women truly living by a Christ-led heart. Matt and I are about to start the Radical Christianity series...thanks so much for sharing these sites!!

Jill said...

I am so glad you are back to blogging!!!!!! The Radical Series sounds a lot like the Crazy Love book by Francis Chan. I will have to check them out soon, and now I will check out that blog too. Miss y'all!

Kyna said...

Jill directed me to this post. And now I'm mad at her. Because there is a part of me that wants to be radical and totally unconventional. But then there is that rational worldly woman that just says "plead ignorance!" Who's going to win?

Kyna said...

One more thought...I might do the series, but only after I get my kitchen remodeled.