Monday, August 25, 2008

Duck Duck Zip

This weekend was a blast. We took a little road trip to Austin to visit Lauren and Cody and to use our gift certificates to Canopy Tours that my sweet parents got us. My dad thought of this for us and we had an absolute blast!

We left early in the morning on Saturday. Greg is so sweet to drive on our road trips while I fall asleep after the first 20 minutes. There is something about cars that puts me to sleep instantly. Even after the first five minutes I can feel my eyes getting heavy. It is my perfect sleeping environment. Good music on, hum of the road lulling me to sleep, the movement of the car, and the warm sun. Unfortunately, car-sleeping is not one of my more attractive states. Somehow my mouth always ends up wide open.

We got to the Canopy Tours place a little early to have a picnic lunch. Guess who followed us to the picnic tables.



I have an extreme infatuation with ducks. I had no problem sacrificing part of my sandwich to feed the little bundles of feathery perfection. They would just come up and surround us, eating out of our hands. I was loving it.

Then it was time for some zipping. Look at the Zippersons.




That night Lauren and Cody took us to see one of the famous Austin sites - the bats! Austin has the world's largest urban bat colony and they fly out from under the bridge every night. We sat right below the bridge waiting for it to get dark and for them to come out. We were slightly concerned about getting spattered with bat poo. But we had a plan. We brought a blanket. We were only allowed to sit on the front 1/3 of the blanket. As soon as the first bat took flight one of us would sound the alarm (yelling "TAKE COVER!" in a very thick British accent), then we would all grab our section of the blanket over our heads into the assumed position.


Fortunataley, we made it out of there poo-free. Check out the bats!

1 comment:

Sheri said...

We did this on our cruise last year. I had NO IDEA we could do it here too. Good to know. :-)