Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Comfort After The Storm

I continue to see more and more effects of Hurricane Ike. Hearing stories and seeing the damage makes it so real. Greg and I continue to thank God for His protection and blessing on our lives. We have been so fortunate and so blessed that we did not suffer any damage or loss during Ike. But so many people did. I keep thinking of all the people who lived in Galveston, whose lives are now turned upside down. Who knows when things will ever go back to normal. And "normal" will look completely different for so many people.

The comfort in all of this is that God knew every single effect of the Hurricane before he even formed it. He has purposes that we know nothing of. We don't understand it, but we serve a supreme, all-powerful, all-knowing God who knows all events, all results, all hearts, all thoughts from eternity past to eternity future.

I came across some verses tonight that made me think about the people that are suffering as a result of Hurricane Ike. Paul writes a letter to the church in Corinth, and tells them how God is the God of comfort.

"For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows." 1 cor 1:5

When I first think of sufferings of Christ, I think of suffering by persecution, from sharing the gospel. And even though suffering from Ike is a different kind of suffering, it is still suffering (and God ordained for the benefit of believers), and our comfort still comes through Christ.

Also, I thought this verse was really good. "Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead." 1 Cor 1:9

A storm of this size proves that we cannot rely on ourselves. We can't build things that will last forever. We can't control circumstances. God is in control. He reveals himself through nature. It even makes me sort of laugh when we watch the forecasted eye path a week before the storm hits. Not because the forecasters aren't smart, but even with the best technology, all we can do is GUESS at what God is planning. He alone is sovereign.

I continue to pray for people affected by the storm (Sidebar: does anyone really know when to use affect vs. effect? I flip a coin every time. Sorry teachers.) But our God is the one who brings life from death. Freedom from captivity. Salvation to sinners. Healing from sickness. Joy from sadness. Comfort from a storm.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that verse (1 Cor 1:9) and it does give such comfort.

For the most part, you use effect as a noun (What's the Effect of the storm) and affect is when its a verb (How were you Affected?). Sometimes they switch but usually its like that. I also have asked myself that question.

Anonymous said...

I learned this in my education classes. Use effect when using the word the (ex: what is the effect?) and affect when it is something happening (ex: affecting or affected) I remember this by a trick I made up myself. I might tell you if you call me. Its pretty valuable.
ps. cody started an intellectual blog, Im tempted to make us a blog. but you would be my only friend.

APage said...

I am so encouraged by this post! Thanks so much!