Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Smoothie Kick



Greg and I have been on a smoothie kick recently. I am not sure if this is a pregnancy craving, but if so then Greg has been having cravings too cause we have both really been enjoying making smoothies lately. Probably in part due to it being summertime which makes cold drinks sound all the more appealing, all the delicious fruit in stores right now, and the relatively cheap fruit prices (at least on strawberries). I also am proud to say that I worked at 2 different smoothie establishments in high school and college, so I guess I just have a love of smoothies. And it makes me feel like I am being super healthy when I drink a smoothie for “dessert”. Now, don’t think we get all crazy with our smoothies – I mean they don’t contain things like flax seed or spinach, but I still consider them healthy.

They are nothing fancy, but we usually blend up the following.

4-5 fresh strawberries

Blueberries (1/4 cup maybe?)

½ of a Banana

1 single cup of light vanilla yogurt

Crushed Ice

It usually makes enough for 2 large glasses. We change up the fruit combinations – maybe use kiwis, peaches, grapes, etc. Greg sometimes puts protein powder in his, but I don't like the taste of it.


By the way, that is not a picture of our homemade smoothies above. We are not that fancy.

No comments: